Can be started at any time
$995 (Easy-pay plan available)
Approximately 9 months
- Study Option
- Home Study
- Course Level
- Entry Requirements
- 18 years old or over
- 15 practical assignments
- The American Academy of Fashion Design is accredited by the International Approval and Registrations Centre (IARC).
Completing this course will enable you to start your own successful fashion design business by honing your skills to create, present and manage your own fashion collection.
Designed around 15 practical assignments, you will incrementally develop the advanced techniques and deep understanding of the industry that you need to succeed as a fashion designer.
As a home study student you will have full access to our student area, the Online Learning Centre, which contains course material created by industry experts including: instructional videos, written content and assignments.
Our tutors provide all the support, knowledge and in-depth feedback you need to progress through your course and are always contactable through the Online Learning Centre.
On average a student studying around 15 hours per week can complete the course in 18 months, a student studying around 30 hours a week can complete the course in 9 months*.
*Completion time is based on the approximate time it has taken past students to complete the course. Students have up to 36 months to complete the course.
The list below provides an overview of the topics covered in this course.
Fundamental Techniques in Fashion Design
Learn the core skills needed to create innovative designs season after season. Explore creative techniques, master flat pattern drafting and pattern manipulation to create new designs. Use this knowledge to create a garment for a customer attending an event. Learn how to:
- Create and use a sketchbook
- Generate ideas
- Create and use a mini mannequin for draping
- Use flat pattern techniques
Working with Materials
Develop your skills to create a three outfit, ready to wear collection. Experiment with materials to understand their properties and use manipulation techniques to create new fabrics. Learn about:
- Choosing and examining fabrics
- Manipulating materials
- Sewing techniques
- Swatch books
- Presentation boards and presenting your work professionally
Cultural Movements in Fashion Design
Examine how society, history, technology, economics and culture influence fashion design practice. Complete a research project to learn about key historical movements in fashion design. Learn how to:
- Use research methods
- Analyze key movements in history
- Develop key insights about contemporary design influences
- Present research findings professionally
Creating a Garment
Build the technical skills needed to turn a design into a finished outfit. Improve accuracy in pattern drafting and design interpretation by creating a basic garment. Learn how to:
- Measure a person for a pattern
- Create specification sheets
- Research, source and test fabrics
- Draft patterns
- Create toiles and examine fitting
- Cut patterns and sew a finished garment
Designing Collections for a Brand
Examine market trends to identify customer needs and design a six outfit fashion collection. Learn how to:
- Examine current and future trends
- Create a strategy for creating a fashion collection
- Develop designs and brand logos
- Create line-ups and technical drawings
- Examine fabric quality
Using Fashion Design Software
Build awareness of computer aided design in contemporary practice. Explore fashion design software to create professional looking 2D and 3D illustrations for a fashion collection. You will learn about:
- 2D and 3D computer generated illustrations
- Adobe Illustrator
- Working with croquis
- Creating flat technical drawings
- Understanding the pros and cons of computer aided design
Creative Thinking and Independent Practice
Use your skill-set to create a complete outfit for a fashion show, based on a set theme and topic. Learn how to:
- Work independently on a fashion design project
- Practice techniques for developing ideas, produce illustrations and creating an outfit
- Improve critical thinking and analysis of project needs
- Manage the development of garment creation
- Present finished garments to a committee
Portfolio Creation and Career Planning
Examine career goals and different pathways into the fashion design industry. Develop a portfolio for potential employers and customers that demonstrates your skills and shows your approach to fashion design. Learn how to:
- Investigate the fashion design profession
- Examine strengths and weaknesses in your skill-set
- Identify career goals
- Plan career development milestones
- Curate a professional looking portfolio
All our tutors are fashion design professionals working in the industry.
Patricia Gomes holds an MBA in Retail Marketing and a BA in Costume Design and Fashion History. She has been working in the fashion industry for 25 years and has been teaching for almost 10 years. Passionate about fashion and tutoring, Patricia is currently doing an MA in Design and Marketing for Fashion Products.
The course shows videos on doing the assignments. They also recommended books to help the student with design trends.
The course has the right blend of theoretical and practical knowledge. I am really enjoying it and I feel I have learnt so much.
I am pleased with the course - I can fit it in around my schedule. The feedback from my tutor is helpful and informative.
The American Academy of Fashion Design
Our philosophy at the American Academy of Fashion Design is to make high-quality education accessible to all by empowering people to do what they love. Through the power of online and blended learning, our students are able to harness their creativity and practically apply it to succeed in their chosen careers.
Pursue your ambition - because the future is today!Learn more